Library of the Hellenic Parliament
The Library of the Hellenic Parliament was founded during the first Parliamentary Session following the 1844 Constitution. Since then its purpose has been to support the work of the Parliament. In 1846, Georgios Tertsetis a scholar and jurist from Zante (today Zakynthos) was elected the Library and Archives director. However, the development of the Library of the Parliament owes a lot to Timoleon Philemon, member of the Parliament representing Attica, lawyer and publisher of the newspaper Aion, between 1875 and 1887.
The Library of the Hellenic Parliament is the second largest library in Greece after the National Library and is housed in two buildings: the main library at the Parliament Building in Syntagma Square and Benakeios Library at the former Public Tobacco Factory Building at Lenorman St. 218. It is open to the public and holds 725.000 volumes of all disciplines (containing archetypes, old prints and rare editions), more than 600 codices dated from the 10th to the 19th century, a large collection of maps and engravings, parliamentary and historic archives, one of the largest collections of Greek and foreign newspapers and journals from the 18th century to now, photographic archive, microfilms and art collection.
The Library of the Hellenic Parliament has digitized an important part of its collections, so the users visiting the Hellenic Parliament’s website can freely access a large amount of digitized material, such as of the Newspaper and Periodical Collections and the Historical Parliamentary Archives, as well as Constitutions and Standing Orders. Through the online catalogue of the Library, the users are provided with various tools for a simple or advanced search to the Library’s Collections.